Thursday, February 19, 2009

Evan/Dr's/Alllergic Reactions

Ok so it has been a crazy week or so.....
So, I thought that Evan was getting an ear infection on Tuesday the 10th and he was going to the Dr for his 15 month check up, a month late since our Dr was out having surgery herself, the next day so I wasn't too worried about it. I was right and it was an ear infection so she prescribed Amoxicillin and as Evan hasn't had to have antibiotics yet we didn't know if he was allergic to anything. Wednesday the 16 and Thursday Evan pretty much slept all day except for 2 hours!!!! By Friday he had a 102 fever and was unable to stand up, walk, sit up so I took him to the Dr again...the poor boy had his ear drum burst in his left ear with puss draining out and now had an outer and inner infection that looked almost as bad as the other....so I had the pleasure of holding Evan while two nurses teamed up on him and have him a shot in each leg at the same time. At this appointment I also mentioned that he had only 1 wet diaper each day and was actually drinking a lot of fluids, I keep a cup of water in his crib with him and I had to refill it and when he was up he was sucking down a ton of fluids.
By Saturday he seemed to be doing much better. Sunday rolls around and Evan seems like he's in a lot of pain and keep screaming out and grabbing at his crotch....he had a diaper rash that had popped up and so I thought that it was really irritating him and so I took a peek to see if the layer of Desitin was still there and it was....then he started to urinate but it was forced and he started to scream and grab at himself so I called the hospital to talk to a nurse. She said to bring him in immediately when I told her about what all had been going on. The ER Dr didn't seem to think that there was anything wrong and said he'd get a urine sample so he put this U bag on him to catch it. After over an hour he still hadn't gone and the Dr came in and took off the bag and told me it was nothing and sent me home.....I was frustrated with this since the nurse I had talked to mentioned checking to see if his bladder was full and things since he's also having other problems with his boy parts and has a urologist appointment for the 25th.
So by the next day Evan has a low grade fever and still isn't eating much but was awake more of the day. Tuesday he woke up with a couple of dots on his face and still hadn't had much of a wet diaper and now has a runny nose and cough....I figure he's on antibiotics and this is viral if its a cold so I continue to alternate Tylenol and Motrin and give him his antibiotics. Today Evan has a head to toe rash that is blistering, a fever of 102, is in pain when he's touched or touching anything, has diarrhea, flu like symptoms and over all is a wreck. So, thanks to my mom pointing this out, he's probably having a reaction so I google the problem. Sure enough that's what's going on....I figured that since it took over a week for the rash to show up that it couldn't have been a reaction to the antibiotics....
The first thing that caught my eye on the list of things was the lack of urination or struggling to urinate, diarrhea....I was feeling really frustrated with the ER Dr since I figured that he should've caught that and that it could've kept it from getting to the point where he is now with his eyes almost swollen shut, watery and goopy and in a lot of physical pain....Here's the moral of my really long blog....go with your gut if you feel like something is really wrong with your child and you don't feel like your Dr is giving you the time of day or flat out makes fun of you to your face....go elsewhere for a second opinion....I felt so stupid by the time I left the ER Sunday and really upset....a Dr isn't a good one if they make you feel this way at all. That and research side effects and pay attention to the odd ones like Evan not being able to urinate....if I had gotten decent sleep and wasn't up all night with a sick baby, Jon's working overnights, I might've thought things through better.
This has been a bad experience and a learning experience and I have been trying to not think I'm a bad parent since I did do what I could think of at the time....but with a baby who has been in a lot of physical pain and who wants to be held but who hurts when touched its definitely a sad feeling.

No comments: